Goal of the event:
Raising awareness in a practical way. We combined EiS and EA and did some activities during a gym lesson in a local school. We had physical activities prepared for the students. During all activities the students of the school had a different handicap and needed to pass the activities through teamwork. The aim was trying to get along with a handicap, feel the difference and deal with the obstacles together.
Short description of the event:
We planned different activities for the students of the school. Each activity was explained in English and guided by an ESNer. This time we had a group of 8 students and also 8 Erasmus students. We divided them into two groups. In each group were 4 local students and 4 Erasmus students. They had to do the activities together.
Short description of some activities:
- Running with a spoon in the mouth and a pingpong ball on it
- Destroying balloons without hands and feet (in pairs)
- Trying to put a thin cord in the shape of a quadrat on the floor while having the eyes covered (each group together)
- Members of the group are standing in a line except one. One is chosen and is getting his eyes covered. This person has to spin around a few times, after being stopped by an ESNer, this person has to try to run towards the group (still with the eyes covered). The rest of the group take each others hand and will receive the person running in their arms (without her/him getting hurt).
- Putting some chairs next to each other but completely random. Writing a number on some post-its, then putting them under the chairs (not on the ground - numbers should be unable to see). Writing the same numbers again on other post-its and giving each student and Erasmus student one of them. They climb up the chairs and have to move from chair to chair without talking and without touching the floor. The goal is to stand on the chair which has the same number on its post-it as the student on his post-it.
How did your event go?:
It was awesome! All local students and international students enjoyed from the beginning until the very end.
After each activity they have been asked how they liked the activity, if it was difficult or not and how they feel the differences - doing "normal" and easy stuff with their eyes covered etc.
We enjoyed this event very much and the Erasmus students already told us that they are looking forward to next events relating EiS and EA ;)